A wedding is one of the most important milestones in anyone’s life. It changes a lot of things, not necessarily in your lifestyle, but in your relations. You become a part of one more family, with new life, new bonds and new moments waiting ahead. But, do you know about another milestone that holds a similar significance? It’s your children’s wedding.
A wedding is not just about the bride and the groom. It’s a big day for parents too. They see their children growing up and starting a new life with someone they love. They want to say so many things, but all they do is see us basking in happiness. Yet, there are few things my parents told me on my wedding day, that I’ll never forget.
1. “Extend the same love and understanding to his parents as you did to us.”
2. “These aren’t two families. We all are one big family.”
3. “My blessings will stay with you forever; wherever you are, whatever you do.”
4. “Nothing is going to change…”
5. “You can’t recognize good times if you don’t have bad ones. So always support each other in good and bad equally.”
6. “Always have each other’s back in public. Never belittle your spouse.”
7. “Always love him unconditionally. Like you love me…”
8. “Judge less. No one in the world is perfect.”
9. “Good things don’t happen by chance; learn to respect each other’s decisions, differences, and point of views.”
Do not take anything for granted. Ever.
10. “Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster.”
11. “Be willing to lose arguments. You don’t always have to be right.”
12. “Your heart is your best compass. Always listen to it.”
13. “It’s not about the amount of money you spend on a gift; it’s about the thought that goes into something.”
14. “Do not ever try to change your spouse.”
15. “Life is too unpredictable for rigid expectations.”
16. “Learn to let go of things.”
I’ll never forget these lines. It just made an already special day, even more special.
I love you, Mom and Dad. <3